Posted November 21, 2023
Title: Senior GIS Analyst, full-time
Advertiser: Nature Advisory Pty Ltd
Location: Based in Melbourne, Victoria
Nature Advisory is looking for an experienced and energetic full-time Senior GIS Analyst who would lead our team of three GIS Analysts and provide guidance on improving our GIS systems and procedures. We are an employee-owned ecological consultancy providing flora and fauna assessments for projects such as residential development and renewable energy projects. The ideal candidate would have several years of experience working as a GIS Analyst in the consultancy sector. You will be leading geospatial analysis and technical support for ecological impact assessments at various scales and levels, including sourcing and assembling data, developing methods for mapping, processing and managing geospatial databases (both server-based and cloud-based), and developing and maintaining all documentation for geospatial data procedures and methodologies. You will participate in training workshops and support field data collection. Extensive working knowledge of Esri Geospatial Suite (ArcMap, ArcGIS Online and ideally ArcGIS Pro) is essential.
.Lead our GIS Team to ensure effective and timely delivery and quality of fauna, flora and habitat mapping outputs.
· Develop and maintain efficient systems for receiving, storing, analysing and presenting spatial information and develop new and efficient ways of doing our GIS work through continually improving our systems and procedures.
· Act as our technical leader in GIS, and data capture and curation by providing advice on new GIS and data capture technology that enhance our spatial information capability
· Provide high level GIS analysis of client's sites, including analysing the impacts of development options on native vegetation and fauna habitats.
Duties & Responsibilities
·Maintain up-to-date knowledge of GIS software and field data capture systems and tools, and advise on improvements and innovation.
· Supervise and maintain the quality and technical proficiency of other GIS staff.
· Improve and ensure the professionalism and efficiency of internal processes in dealing with GIS requests.
· Ensure that spatial data provided for clients and other stakeholders are consistent with their QA standards.
· Provide training and support to other staff in use of our GIS and digital management systems (i.e. workstations/tablets/field procedures/data transfer)
· Participate in regular discussions about the Nature Advisory IT systems to ensure capacity to support the evolving GIS capability.
· Manage company's subscriptions to software and spatial data services such as ESRI, Nearmap, Vicmap.
· Manage ArcGIS Online and the cloud-based database.
· Help out with mapping tasks in ArcMap 10.8 and ArcGIS Pro such as vegetation and habitat maps and surveyed flora and fauna using aerial photographs, GPS data and other data sources.
· Georeference and assemble spatial data from different data sources (aerials, dxf, dwg, shape files). · Assess development impact on mapped native vegetation and calculate offset requirements using geoprocessing tools and specific tools such as the Ensym Tool.
· Provide spatial analysis of map data (area calculations, intersection, overlays, buffers, etc)
·Participate in training to gain knowledge in relevant legislation and planning controls.
·A tertiary qualification in a related field with five to eight years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Several years of work experience at an (ideally ecological) consultancy.
· Experience leading a small team.
· Extensive working knowledge of ESRI Suite, especially ArcMap 10, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online. · Demonstrated knowledge and experience is spatial and textural data entry, data creation, extraction, queries and analysis.
· Experience in GIS/Spatial programming or data manipulation/conversion applications (desirable) · Ability to provide innovative solutions to a wide range of spatial challenges
· Exceptional attention to detail, especially regarding the content and layout of maps
·Good communication skills
· Skills in managing time, setting priorities, planning and organising the Team's schedule.
· A collaborative, consultative and team orientated approach.
·Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic and quick turnaround work environment, working collaboratively in a small team to solve challenges. The role is a permanent full-time position within Nature Advisory based in Melbourne. A permit to work in Australia is essential. The position provides an excellent opportunity to join a diverse, friendly and fun team of ecologists committed to a high standard of technical work and client service.
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter highlighting your suitability for the role and how you meet the key position criteria above by Friday 1st December 2023 (earlier applications are encouraged) to: Attn: Tara Cavallo - with the subject line Ref: 2023-24 Senior GIS Analyst. Date published: 17th November 2023
Closing date: 1st December 2023 (but earlier applications are highly encouraged and will be assessed on an ongoing basis)